Reduce non-recoverable industrial waste by 30% in 2030 (baseline 2018)
Terms of the action or commitment
The target of 30% corresponds to around 30kt of solid waste to be recycled.
2022 follow-up of the action
The table below shows Solvay’s results on waste production since 2019. However, our commitment on waste is specifically related to non-recoverable waste (“Industrial waste not treated in a sustainable way”). With a baseline in 2018 of 89Kt, total industrial waste not treated in a sustainable manner for the Group decreased by 33 Kt (35%) in 2021 compared to 2018
The evolution of the results compared to 2020 represents a decrease of 11.9 Kt (17%) of which:
- -5.9 Kt due to improved data accuracy
- -0.6 Kt due to scope changes,
- -3.0 Kt due to valorization of the dry matter content of the wastewater sludge in Zhanjiagang (China),
- -0.73 Kt due to process improvements in Salindres (France),
- -0.46 kt due to coal usage reduction in Tavaux (France), -0.43 Kt due to material recovery in various industrial applications in Massa (Italy).
The 30% reduction target has been achieved in 2021. However, the “waste” indicator may be affected by downgrading of products or raw materials, or maintenance operations, in addition to normal production: we are expecting to see the evolution in 2022 before formally concluding that the objective has been achieved.